Acne is the bane of adolescence which may overshadow your adulthood. Acne a skin condition, that causes pimple and skin irritation is common in teenagers and young adults. Acne primarily appears in the oil producing regions of the body like the face, the chest and the back. It is also noticeable on upper arms and neck. If acne is left untreated, it can develop into scars that may be difficult to go away. There are two types of acne: non inflammatory-blackheads and white, and inflammatory which are in the form of red blemishes which may or may not have pus in them.
Why does acne appear: There are three reasons for acne to appear:
1. Bacteria: Propionibacterium, a bacteria which thrives on the skin is the major cause of acne.
2. Rapid increase in androgens: The male sex hormone which is found in both girls and boys in puberty, called androgen; is among the major reasons for acne proliferation. The hormone causes the sebaceous glands of the skin to produce more sebum which results in acne. Hormonal changes due to pregnancy or stopping or starting of birth control pills are another reason.
3. Genetic: Acne can be inherited genetically too.
Though acne starts at 10-13 years of age, it disappears on its own by early 20s. However in some cases, it can last in the late 20s and even beyond that.
Does acne affect men and women equally
Yes, but there is a difference in the occurrence and pattern of acne. For men, acne lasts longer but women are likely to experience irregular acne due to hormonal changes triggered by menstrual cycle and usage of cosmetics.
What increases acne:
1. Oils from skin care and beauty products like cosmetics can increase acne. It also increases if you are working in a greasy environment like the kitchen.
2. Wearing tight clothes, tight collars and compact helmets can also cause acne increase.
3. Pollution and humidity are also causative factors for acne.
4. Scrubbing the skin too hard, squeezing, itching or picking on acne blemishes can worsen the condition.
5. Hormonal changes two to seven days before the menstrual cycle can also cause acne.
6. Worry and stress are no doubt, another major factor for acne to increase.
7. Chronic constipation is another major reason for acne. If the bowels do not empty properly, the blood stream gets mixed with toxic matter. The skin tries to get rid of the excess waste in the form of acne and other skin disease.
How to fight acne naturally
Wash your face twice daily with a mild face wash to remove excess oil. Avoid excess make-up, go for water based cosmetics instead of oil based ones. It is important to wear skin care products that are ‘noncomedogenic’. This means the product does not cause or increase acne. Drink lots of water, 10-12 glasses daily so that you are able to get rid of excess toxins in the form of urine, sweat or motions. A healthy diet comprising fruit, vegetables, sprouts and juices can give you a fantastic looking skin.
The herbal remedies to cure yourself of acne include mixing natural yogurt and fine oatmeal to a thick paste, applying it on the skin and leaving it to dry. Later you can apply an antibiotic lotion depending on your skin type. Another great natural method to treat acne is usage of Aloe Vera. Use aloe vera gels or soaps to heal acne damaged skin and acne scars. Consult a dermatologist if herbal methods to cure acne fail.
Treatment for acne:
Consult a good dermatologist for acne cure. Do not take self-medicate. The doctor will prescribe pill, ointments or lotions that can kill the bacteria that causes or increase the acne condition